What Can You EXPECT from Career Counseling?
- A professional counselor will listen to you.
- Career exploration can be enjoyable, exciting, and ultimately rewarding.
- Any enjoyable, exciting or rewarding activity requires ACTION. But you will not be acting alone….your counselor will work alongside you encouraging you to find the paths that are good for you.
- Appointments, where the conversation is confidential, allow you to set the stage for productive career exploration. View the Department’s confidentiality statement.
Three Quick Steps to Begin!
- Meet with a counselor
Call 732-906-2546 to make an appointment with a counselor. Flexible appointment times are available.
- Prepare to think…and take action!
Before your appointment, make note of two things:
- What am I doing when I feel energized and excited?
- What do I do well or wish I did better?
- Pay attention to how you feel and act in different situations as you go through your day. Notice when you are energized or when you are bored. These observations will be the building blocks to future career choices and direction.
We are looking forward to working with you as you explore your options and build your future here at MCC! See you soon.
Career and Personality Assessments
Assessments are available by first making an appointment (see information above) with a counselor in the Department of Counseling and Career services. Call 732.906.2546 for information and an appointment.
Strong Campbell Interest Inventory
The Strong Campbell Interest Inventory (SCII) is an interest self-assessment that will measure your interests in a wide area of occupations, work, leisure, and school subjects. Most of all, the SCII will provide a list of occupations that not only match your interests, but match the interests of professionals working in those occupations.
Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
This is a personality focused assessment that may enhance career exploration and personal awareness.
Career Resource Center
Our Career Resource Center is located in the Department of Counseling and Career Services, Edison Hall, Room 100, and contains resources to help you find career information, research educational opportunities, write resumes and much more.
- Use our print materials and computers to find current, relevant career information
- Take career and personality assessments to explore your career direction and learn more about yourself in relation to the many roles and responsibilities you have as a student.
- Research companies, job salaries, training requirements and more
- Learn to write a resume
Useful Links to Career Information
America’s Career Infonet
This website includes information on fastest growing occupations, local salary data comparisons, career information videos, and a military to civilian occupational translator.
O*Net Online is a tool for career exploration and job analysis. In an easy to use format, information on careers, occupational groupings, employment information and salaries is presented. “Bright outlook “careers are highlighted.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
The Occupational Outlook Handbook provides the most up-to-date information on hundreds of careers and occupational groups. Information on salary, required skills and abilities, and job outlook are included.
Middlesex County College Library
Our library provides excellent resources for in depth career exploration, research and job search. Explore selected sources of information for careers/employment in the MCC Library and on the Internet. It is aimed primarily at students taking the Student Success course (SSD101). It provides books, databases, federal government and state resources, as well as internet sites. Please do not hesitate to ask a reference librarian or call the Reference Desk at 732 906-4253 for assistance at any point during your research!
Take Action and Make an Appointment Today!
If you need help with career exploration and decision-making, contact the Department of Counseling and Career Services. We look forward to working with you as you explore your future and move forward to completing your degree!
Call 732-.906.2546 or email counseling@ middlesexcc.edu
“Inspiration gets things going, motivation keeps things going, and determination gets things done.”