How Do I Apply for Federal Direct Student Loans?
Loan Counseling (Entrance and Exit Counseling)
- All student loan borrowers must complete loan counseling.
- If you are a new borrower, you must complete entrance counseling to receive your loan.
- When you graduate or leave school, you must complete exit counseling.
First-Time Borrowers/Loan Entrance Counseling:
Each student receiving a loan for the first time at MCC must complete Loan Entrance Counseling. This requirement applies to students who have previously borrowed at another institution. Loan funds cannot be released until this requirement has been met.
All students wishing to borrow subsidized and/or unsubsidized Direct Loans must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Complete the following steps for subsidized and/or unsubsidized Direct Loans to be certified and received by Middlesex County College.
1) Log into www.StudentLoans.gov by clicking the “Log In” button and entering the FSA ID. To create the FSA ID please go to www.fsaid.ed.gov
2) Select the “Complete Counseling” link
3) Select Entrance Counseling by clicking the “Start” button
4) Under the “school information”, select “New Jersey” as the “School State” and “Middlesex County College” as the “School Name.”
5) Follow the instructions to complete the counseling.
Note: It will take at least two business days before the financial aid office will receive confirmation the entrance counseling has been completed.
Next, select the “Complete Master Promissory Note Link
- Select the Subsidized/Unsubsidized Direct Loan Link
- Input Two references
- Input School Name and State
- Sign the MPN electronically
All Students: New, Returning and Transfer Students Must Complete the Direct Loan Request Form
- MCC Does not automatically package your student loan so you must complete a Student Loan Request Form to process your Direct Student Loan
- To request a Parent PLUS Loan, the student must complete the Parent Loan Request Form and the Master Promissory Note.
Loan Exit Counseling
Federal regulations and MCC procedures requires that students who take out a student loan must complete exit counseling before they leave school (graduate) or drop below half-time (six credits). This requirement is in place so that you will receive fundamental information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You will receive information about the types of loans you received, when and where to make your payments, what to do if you cannot make your payments and what can happen if you do not make your payments.
Exit counseling may be completed on line. To complete your counseling, locate the type of loan(s) you borrowed and follow the link indicated.
Federal Direct Loans
- Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
If you had any of these loans, you can complete exit counseling online by visiting www.StudentLoans.gov.
1) Sign in to www.StudentLoans.gov by clicking the “Sign In” button under Manage My Direct Loan
Select the “Complete Counseling” link
Select Exit Counseling
by clicking the “Start” button
Under the “school information”, select “New Jersey” as the “School State” and “Middlesex County College” as the “School Name.”
Follow the instructions to complete the counseling.
If you have any questions, you should contact our office at (732) 548-6000 ext. 3520