How Do I Apply for Financial Aid?
Applying for Financial Aid is a three-step process.
We recommend that you apply for financial aid online, because it speeds up the process.
- The first step is for you to apply for a Federal PIN for yourself (and your parent). To begin this process, visit www.pin.ed.gov. The Pin number is used to sign the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) (Step 2).
Determining if you are Dependent or an Independent student? If you are able to answer any of the questions listed below as a ‘Yes’ – then you can file as an Independent Student on the FAFSA.
- Were you born before January 1, 1989?
- Are you married?
- Do you have any children that you provide more than half of their support?
- Do you have any dependents (other than children) that live with you and that you provide more than half of their financial support?
- Are both of your parents deceased, were you in foster care, or an orphan or a ward of the court?
- Are you currently serving on active duty in the US Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
- Are you a veteran of the US Armed Forces?
- Are you in a legal guardianship, as determined by the court system?
- At any time on or after July 1, 2011, did the student’s high school or school district homeless liaison, HUD, director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center, or transitional living program determine that you were considered an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or at risk of being homeless?
2. You should complete the FAFSA online using Middlesex County College school code: 002615. The processor at the Department of Education will determine your financial need by reviewing the income data submitted on your FAFSA.
3. You should routinely check your Campus Cruiser ‘Financial Aid Status’ to determine if additional documents are needed at the MCC Financial Aid office. You may be required to submit a copy of your (and or your parent’s) federal tax transcript and a 2014-2015 Verification Worksheet. The Financial Aid office will not process your financial aid award until all required documents have been completed, submitted and reviewed.
Communication with Students:
The Financial Aid Office will contact you through your MCC email address. Please continue to read and clear out your email messages. Continue to check Campus Cruiser for messages regarding Financial Aid, Disbursement or pending actions needed.
Authorization to Apply Financial Aid for Tuition & Fees:
- Student must access Campus Cruiser to accept authorization for the Cashier’s Office to apply your financial aid to tuition, fees and other educational expenses.
- This authorization must be accepted once a year to ensure your successful application of funding to tuition, fees and any other educational expenses.
Authorization to Use Financial Aid for Bookstore Credit:
- You must access Campus Cruiser to accept Bookstore Authorization for your financial aid award (minus tuition & fees) to be available for bookstore credit.
- This authorization must be accepted every term to ensure your ability to utilize credit at the Blue Colt Bookstore.