Modified Fall 2020 Schedule

For more information, visit  

Allied Health

Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment

This is an exciting and innovative field in which service providers assist people in obtaining the skills, support and resources they will need to achieve success and satisfaction in their living, learning, working and social environments. The overall goals of this field are promotion of recovery, community integration, and improved quality of life for people coping with psychiatric disabilities. Graduates can transfer all of their credits to the Rutgers-Kean University Bachelor of Science Degree Program in Psychiatric Rehabilitation & Psychology (Joint program with Kean University, Georgian Court University or Felician College).

Career Opportunities

Career Coach Link
Semester I

MAT-116 or MAT-123 should be taken by students who intend to transfer to the B.S. in Psychiatric Rehabilitation/Psychology

Semester II

Choose one Psychology course designated as General Education Social Science (GE SS) or General Education Diversity (GE DIV).


Choose one course designated in the course descriptions as General Education Humanities (GE HUM).

Semester III
Semester IV
Standards of Progress

Must achieve a “C” or better in all PSR courses May retake a PSR course only once and obtain a passing grade (i.e. “C” or better)

Contact Information

Contact Name: Professor Peter Basto, department chair
OR Jeffrey Herron, Dean, Division of Professional Studies

Contact Phone: 908.889.2550 (Rutgers-SHP)
OR 732.906.3502 (MCC)

Contact Email:


Frequently Asked Questions

What will students learn if they study Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Treatment?

Courses focus on imparting the knowledge, practical skills and attitudes needed to provide support and services to people with psychiatric disabilities in a variety of community settings that provide social, vocational, residential and case management services.

Are there any requirements that must be satisfied before taking courses in the major?

PSR majors need to complete 18 credits of general education and Introduction to Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR-101) before beginning the professional phase of the program (PSR-102 and beyond).  Students must take BIO-104 prior to enrollment in the joint program and must complete the math requirement.  Students must have a "C" or better in one year of a high school laboratory science.  As a result of the student's performance on the College's placement test, he or she may need developmental coursework.  All developmental coursework must be completed before they will be considered for admission to the Program.

Can students transfer to a four-year college or university?

The Statewide Transfer Agreement for New Jersey ensures that students who earn an A.A. or A.S. degree at a community college will have those credits fully transferable to a New Jersey public four-year institution, will have completed half of the credits required for a basic four-year degree and will have completed all of the lower division general education requirements. In addition, articulation agreements with private institutions may provide similar transfer provisions. Students should discuss the transfer process with an advisor.

Graduates may transfer into the Rutgers-SHP BS Dual Major program in Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Psychology that is offered with the following partner schools:  Kean University, Rutgers-Newark, Felician University, and Georgian Court University.  The AS degree also transfers into the BS in Health Sciences, Psychiatric Rehabilitation at Rutgers-SHP.   In addition, graduates may transfer to other four year schools in a variety of human service majors.

How long will it take to complete this degree?

The degree can be completed in five semesters. Part time study is also an option.

Are there any special requirements once the student is admitted to this major?

Students must meet the academic standards of progress outlined above to stay in the program. They must meet with the program director each semester prior to registration.

Can graduates obtain certification?

Yes, graduates of the AS in Psychosocial Rehabilitation are the only Associate degree graduates allowed to take the certification examination offered by the Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association. The certification to become a Certified Psychiatric Rehabilitation Practitioner (CPRP) is a nationally and internationally recognized credential that indicates the individual meets the standards of the profession. 

start my application