Addiction Studies Certificate
The Addictions Studies Certificate provides the educational and practical training hours required by NJ State Law for certification as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC). Students in the program complete:
- 270 hours of approved alcohol and drug education in certain domain areas
- 300 hours of supervised practical training in alcohol and drug counseling
- 30 Alcohol and drug abuse self-help group meetings
This certificate offers students an opportunity to enter the field of addiction studies upon graduation and, after completing their supervised work experience, to apply for CADC certification. Upon completion of this program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate a strong foundational knowledge in addictions counseling as evidenced by discussing the key addictions theories, classic research studies, and recent trends in addiction.
- Apply foundational knowledge of addictions counseling in the clinical setting to people struggling with substance abuse.
- Evaluate the validity and ethics of addictions counseling research studies and psychological practices.
- Create written documents regarding addictions counseling using APA style that are clear, well-organized, and grammatically accurate.
Click below to review our curriculum and classes.
Department Contact Information