Welcome to the Honors Program
The Honors Program is a wonderful academic opportunity for high-achieving students who want to expand their horizons in an intellectually stimulating environment. While the work is challenging, this does not mean more work. Students learn to hone their critical thinking skills in a more effective manner to develop a higher level of learning. The program is flexible and accessible. Honors class sizes are even smaller than others at MCC.
Students who choose to participate in the Honors Program experience can choose from the following four options:
Intended for those students who would like to take a single Honors Course without enrolling in the Honors Program.
Intended for those students who wish to concentrate their honors study on a single discipline. These students must complete three Honors courses with a grade of C or better within a single department, only one of which may be an introductory level course. In order to qualify for Departmental Honors, students must maintain a cumulative 3.5 GPA in all coursework.
Intended for those students who wish to broaden their Honors experience. These students must complete three Honors courses with a grade C or better within a single division, only one of which must be at the 200 level. These students must also successfully complete one presentation at an Honors Colloquium. In order to qualify for Divisional Honors, students must maintain a cumulative 3.5 GPA in all coursework.
Full Honors Program:
Intended for those students who would like to enroll in the Honors Program. These students must complete five Honors courses with a grade of C or better – no more than two at the introductory (100) level, in three different disciplines. These students must also successfully complete one presentation at an Honors Colloquium. In order to qualify for Full Honors, students must maintain a cumulative 3.5 GPA in all coursework.
To see a video about the benefits of the Honors Program, click on the image below.
- Attract and retain a diverse group of self-motivated students with high academic and creative talent.
- Offer curricula that are innovative, interdisciplinary, and appropriate to advanced learners, with an emphasis on stimulating and participatory course work, experiential and service learning activities, and the effective use of primary sources for research.
- Incorporate co-curricular activities that broaden an appreciation for the arts and diverse cultures and points of view.
- Promote communication and intellectual exchanges between and among Honors Students and Faculty.
- Develop Honors Students with advanced communication, reasoning, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Nurture and develop the Honors Student’s holistic sense of self-awareness, social consciousness and involvement as a member of the world community.
- Encourage and facilitate the transfer of Honors Graduates into Honors Programs at appropriate senior colleges and universities.
- Promote Middlesex County College as an institution dedicated to quality scholarship, education and associated supportive activities, both within and without the campus.