Post from RICOH THETA. #theta360 - Spherical Image - RICOH THETA
 Contact Information
Chairperson: Mary-Pat Maciolek
Dept. Assistant: Elice Brewer
Phone: 732.906.2538
Fax: 732.906.7745
Location: College Center 180
 Contact Information
Chairperson: Mary-Pat Maciolek
Dept. Assistant: Elice Brewer
Phone: 732.906.2538
Fax: 732.906.7745
Location: College Center 180

Baking and Pastry Arts

About the Degree

Certificate of Achievement
In this program, students acquire the necessary practical and theoretical skills for employment in one of the nation’s fastest growing industries. Graduates may be employed as an assistant restaurant manager, hotel/motel assistant manager, front office manager, dining room manager, cafeteria production manager, cook, sous chef or management trainee. They are eligible for certification in several course areas by the American Hotel and Lodging Association and the National Restaurant Association. Students may choose the Hotel-Motel Management Option, the Restaurant Foodservice Management Option, or the Culinary Arts Management Option which prepares students to work in hotels, motels, resorts, restaurants, clubs, cruise ships, catering centers and health care facilities.

Career Opportunities

Career Coach is our free, online tool that you can use to view career information that is up-to-date and local to our region.


Department Contact Information

Contact Name: Professor Mary-Pat Maciolek, department chair
Contact Phone: 732.906.2538
Contact Email:
Department Web:

Can students who major in Hospitality and Culinary Arts transfer to a four-year college?
Articulation agreements with public and private institutions offer students who earn the A.A.S. degree the opportunity to transfer most of their coursework to the four-year institution. Students in specialized programs, or who earn an A.A.S. degree should discuss the transfer process with an advisor. Many colleges and universities with hotel and restaurant management programs, including Fairleigh Dickinson University, NYU, Montclair State University, Widener University, The Culinary Institute of America, Johnson & Wales, as well as other schools, will apply the courses taken toward a bachelor’s degree.

What do students learn if they study Hospitality and Culinary Arts?
They receive training in restaurant and food service management, hotel-motel management or culinary arts. Those with limited related industry experience are encouraged to enroll in a cooperative work experience seminar that includes paid employment in the final semester. In culinary arts additional training is provided in a culinary externship.

Can students take more than one option in Hospitality and Culinary Arts?
Students with interests in both hotel-motel management and restaurant foodservice management can apply for a dual option.

Are there any requirements that must be satisfied before taking courses in the major?
Algebra I is a prerequisite for all majors. Algebra I competency may be verified with a passing score on the College’s placement test or by completion of the appropriate course.

How long will it take to complete these programs?
Once students complete developmental coursework (if needed), the degree can be completed in two years of full-time study. They can shorten the amount of time by taking courses in the summer and winter sessions. Certificates may be completed in approximately 14 months and the certificate of achievement in approximately 2 semesters.

Can students who take the Culinary Certificate Program also work toward the A.A.S. degree in Restaurant/Food Service Management?
Yes. All of the culinary courses in the certificate program may be applied to meet the requirements for the A.A.S. degree in the Restaurant/Foodservice option.

Why should students apply for a Certificate?
The Certificate was designed for those individuals who have completed a degree in another discipline and are currently working in the hospitality field. The Certificates were also designed for individuals who do not have a post-secondary education and are interested in the hospitality field or who have several years of experience in the field and need to acquire academic credentials for promotional opportunities.

Curriculum & Courses

Baking and Pastry Arts Certificate of Achievement 18 Credits

Transfer Information

Our students transfer to 4-year colleges and universities around the globe. We’ve had students transfer to every state, including Alaska and Hawaii.

The Statewide Transfer Agreement for New Jersey ensures that students who earn an A.A. or A.S. degree at a community college will have those credits fully transferable to a New Jersey public four-year institution, will have completed half of the credits required for a basic four-year degree and will have completed all lower division general education requirements. In addition, articulation agreements are being worked out with institutions granting baccalaureate degrees in Public Health to facilitate the transfer process. Students should discuss the transfer process with an advisor.

Are you interested in transferring to a school in New Jersey? You can use the tools at to see which of your MCC courses will transfer to a specific college.