Encouraging & Mentoring Peers On Work & Education Readiness
E.M.P.O.W.E.R. is a college preparation program that offers after-school tutoring and college preparation assistance to high school students from New Brunswick and nearby communities.
College mentors are selected by the Rutgers University Collaborative Center for Community Based Research and Service and the Middlesex County College Democracy House Center for Civic Engagement.
- FREE tutoring from college mentors
- Information sessions: career exploration, time management, study skills, financial literacy
- FREE college classes (by selection, requires parent/guardian and high school counselor recommendation)
- Peer mentoring on high school-to-college transition
- Improvement in high school grades as evidenced by transcripts
- Engagement with tutors/mentors a minimum of four hours per week
- Successful completion of college class (if selected)
- Fall and spring community service hours
- MCC application and completion of FAFSA or alternate FAFSA application
E.M.P.O.W.E.R. runs from September to May and students will meet virtually during the fall, twice per week. The program schedule will be established by September 14, 2020.
A virtual interview with the HS to College Program Coordinator and/or Director is required for NEW students who submit the EMPOWER application. Past participants must complete the program application and are automatically accepted into the program.
For more information, email email@example.com and leave your contact information. Someone will call you within 48 hours.