Encouraging & Mentoring Peers On Work & Education Readiness
E.M.P.O.W.E.R. is a college preparation initiative created by Evelyn Rosa, Director for the Middlesex County College New Brunswick Center, in 2009 which initially served first generation Latino high school youth from the city of New Brunswick. College mentors from Rutgers University are carefully selected by the Collaborative for Community Based Research and Service and Democracy House from the Middlesex County College to serve as tutors and mentors. The program started in 2009 and has expanded to include other local high school students and students from any ethnic group.
- Free weekly tutoring services
- College preparatory guidance
- Free college classes for credit to those that qualify*
- MCC scholarships to those that qualify*
- Co-curricular learning workshops and trips
*Participation is totally voluntary and a student can withdraw in writing at any time. However, ONLY students who complete the program satisfactorily may apply for any E.M.P.O.W.E.R. program scholarships.
- Participants must remain in good academic standing at their high school
- Participants must complete a program application and obtain parental consent if under 18 yrs.
- Participants must abide by the behavioral requirements in the release
- Participants must actively attend scheduled tutoring/mentoring sessions, a minimum of six (6) hours per week.
- Participant planning to enroll at MCC must volunteer a minimum of 10 hours per semester in the community to meet the program criteria and most MCC scholarships.
- Improve academic performance leading to successful high school graduation and college admission
- Develop familiarity with college resources before high school graduation
- Learn to search and apply for FAFSA, E.O. F. and private scholarships
- Participate in professional mentoring for career exploration and development of soft skills
- Develop into socially responsible young adults via community service and support of community partners on their initiatives
Tutoring/Mentoring will take place at Middlesex County College, New Brunswick Center. E.M.P.O.W.E.R. students are responsible for transportation arrangements to and from the college.
- Generally the program runs Monday–Thursday, 4-6 from September-May. Additional days may be required for special events.
- Applications for September of the next year are due by the end of June of that year. (Space is limited to 20 students)
- Election and confirmation of students for the EMPOWER program will be made by mid-August
- The program starts in early September, concurrent with the MCC college calendar.
Questions about general information may be directed to Evelyn Rosa, Director, MCC New Brunswick Center at 732 745-8866, ext. 119 or firstname.lastname@example.org