Encouraging & Mentoring Peers On Work & Education Readiness
E.M.P.O.W.E.R. is a college preparation program that offers after-school tutoring and college preparation assistance to high school students from New Brunswick and nearby communities.
College mentors are selected by the Rutgers University Collaborative Center for Community Based Research and Service and the Middlesex County College Democracy House Center for Civic Engagement.
- FREE tutoring from college mentors
- Information sessions: career exploration, time management, study skills, financial literacy
- FREE college classes (by selection, requires parent/guardian and high school counselor recommendation)
- Peer mentoring on high school-to-college transition
- Improvement in high school grades as evidenced by transcripts
- Engagement with tutors/mentors a minimum of four hours per week
- Successful completion of college class (if selected)
- Fall and spring community service hours
- MCC application and completion of FAFSA or alternate FAFSA application
E.M.P.O.W.E.R. runs from September to May and meets Monday–Thursday, 4-6 p.m.
An interview with the Program Coordinator and an orientation is required for consideration.
For more information, call Cherae Boyce 732-745-8866.