FREE Tutoring Services Available, Room 207 (Learning Lab)
Tutors are happy to work with students at any phase of the writing process, whether they are still in the planning phases or already have a completed draft. Thank you for following the tutoring guidelines below.
English & Writing / Ryan Moore / Wednesdays 2–7 pm
Expectations for Tutors:
- Tutors guide students toward a better understanding of the writing process.
- Tutors are not editors: they will not grade, correct or re-do a student’s work; however, they will provide guidance, explain principles, and help each student communicate more effectively through the written word.
- Tutors cannot speak for students’ instructors. Students are encouraged to communicate with their instructors regarding coursework.
- Tutors can assist students with the writing process of any paper they are working on, even in classes outside of the English Dept.
Expectations for Students:
- Be as specific as possible in identifying your goals to the tutor in order to plan the session.
- Please attend tutoring early and often. There is not always time to cover an entire paper in a single session, so students should plan visits well in advance of deadlines.
- Bring all course materials, including assignment guidelines and textbooks.
- For courses outside of the English Department, you may want to first meet with a subject-specific tutor in the Learning Center about the paper’s content if you have questions unrelated to the writing process.
In-Person and Online Tutoring is Available
Tutoring by Appointment (recommended):
Access our website http://middlesexcc.mywconline.com with your smartphone, tablet, or computer to make an appointment to work with a tutor for approximately 20 minutes. Choose the “New Brunswick Center & Online Tutoring Schedule.” Appointments must be scheduled at least a day in advance, up to two weeks in advance. All time slots are available for in-person tutoring, and some allow you to choose the option of a live, online tutoring session from any computer with an internet connection, which will feature a collaborative whiteboard, text, video and audio chat, and drawing tools. You may lose your appointment if you arrive more than five minutes late. If you miss three appointments, you will only be able to come for walk-in sessions.
Students who drop in to the center will be handled on a first-come, first-served basis. Appointments are given priority, and a tutor may not be available if it is busy.
Small Group Tutoring:
We are open to accommodating small groups of students from the same class who have questions regarding the same assignment if possible. If you reserve a session and arrange for up to three classmates to join you, we will do our best to accommodate the group.
If you would like more information about tutoring, please call the Learning Center at 732-548-6000 ext. 3222 or email Learning_Center@middlesexcc.edu.