Work Readiness Program at Perth Amboy
Through Grants provided by the Middlesex County Work Force Investment Board, Middlesex County College assists clients receiving public assistance with life and academic skills necessary to support them in becoming financially independent.
Community Work Experience Program
This program is designed to provide individuals, who are currently receiving public assistance with academic, ESL, and “world of work” skills. Participants in this program receive a half-day of academic instruction tailored to their individual needs. In addition, each participant performs a half-day of work experience at a non-profit agency. This is intended to provide the individual with appropriate work habits, real skills, and contacts within the employment sector. Participants are provided with:
- Instruction in Basic Skills Math & English
- G.E.D. Preparation
- English as a Second Language
- Job Search and job retention techniques
- Resume Preparation
- MS Windows and Intro to MS Word
- Career Exploration & Development
Job Search Assistance Program
This program is designed to provide those individuals currently receiving Temporary Assistance to Needy Parents (TANF) with information about and experience in navigating the current job market. Individualized job counseling and placement services will be provided. Participants will be trained in the following areas:
- Workplace readiness skills
- Resume preparation
- Interview Techniques
- Networking techniques
- Self management and time management skills
- Workplace norms
- Intro to MS Word and use of the internet
Participants in this activity have access to the Internet, fax machine, telephone, and other office equipment necessary to conduct a job search. In addition, the program’s staff maintains a listing of current job openings and is in contact with local employers.
Extended Job Search
This program is designed to provide (GA/SNAP) participants with comprehensive labor market and employment finding skills that will enable them to obtain and retain unsubsidized employment. Upon completion of this program, individuals should be capable of obtaining employment through networking, appropriate job location skills, effective interviewing and/or returning to school to increase their employability.
- The job readiness activities to be provided will include an assessment to determine past work history, job interest areas, employability strengths and weaknesses, marketable skills and the identification of barriers to employment. Individualized job counseling and placement services will be provided.
- All clients will be required to participate in a monitored job search pursuit. Weekly contact logs will be completed by participants and reviewed and confirmed by the program staff.