A student who had exhibited poor academic performance prior to an extended period of absence from the College may, following a successful return to the College, appeal to have the previously earned grades disregarded in calculating the GPA. Appeals should be submitted to the Academic Advising Center.
The following terms and conditions apply:
- The GPA prior to the period of absence from the College must have been below 2.0.
- A minimum of three years without Middlesex County College enrollment in credit and credit equivalent courses must have elapsed prior to re-enrollment.
- A student must complete 18 credits following re-enrollment, with a minimum GPA of 2.0, prior to submitting the appeal.
- All courses with a “C” or better will count towards meeting graduation requirements but will not be included in the calculation of the new Grade Point Average (GPA).
- All courses and grades will continue to appear on the transcript.
- An Academic Amnesty Appeal may be approved only once for any individual student and is irrevocable.
Note that a student receiving benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs will not be reimbursed for repeating courses which had already been passed. Note also that a student transferring to another college will be bound by that college’s terms and conditions for accepting transfer credits.