Student Grievance Procedure
Students who wish to appeal a grade should follow the Academic Appeals process as outlined in the section on “Academic Standards and Regulations”.
Grievances regarding other issues should be handled in the following manner. Students are encouraged to discuss their concerns with the faculty member involved, prior to presenting a formal grievance. Whenever a student brings a grievance against a faculty member to the attention of a college administrator, the following procedure will be followed:
- Should the student grievant so request, the time sequence outlined below will be extended to the end of the semester.
- The administrator shall inform the faculty member of the nature of the allegation prior to conducting an investigation.
- Upon investigation, if the administrator or his or her designee finds probable cause, but the nature of the grievance is not of a serious nature to warrant disciplinary action, the administrator will attempt to resolve the matter informally.
- If the administrator or his or her designee finds probable cause and the nature of the grievance is of a serious nature to potentially warrant disciplinary action, the administrator shall advise the faculty member, the union and the divisional dean of the nature of the complaint and the name of the grievant.
- The dean of the division shall complete the investigation and hold a hearing within fifteen (15) school days. Following the hearing, the dean shall, within ten (10) school days, render a final decision. Students may appeal the decision of the division dean to the Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs of the College.